John A. Finbury
John A. Finbury
John A. Finbury is experienced both as a trial attorney and corporate counsel. His trial work involves representing clients for serious personal injury claims, workers compensation and social security disability claims, and business disputes.
John's business practice focuses on business formations, representing and advising emerging companies as well as established businesses, and negotiating and drafting contracts, leases and transaction agreements. John has served as general counsel to a number of private companies advising the board of directors on management and corporate governance and compliance issues, as well as overseeing the management of legal disputes and employment and licensing issues. John served as general counsel to Thermatrx (http://www.thermatrx.com/), a BPH medical device company, from 2001 until its sale to American Medical Systems Holdings (NASDAQ AMMD) in 2004.
John graduated from the Middlesex School, Boston University (1977), and Northeastern University School of Law (1986), and is a member of the Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys and the American Trial Lawyers Association. He is licensed to practice law in Massachusetts state and federal courts. Prior to joining the firm in 1998 John was an associate and litigation partner at Bingham, Dana & Gould in Boston (now known as Bingham McCutchen LLP).
John serves on the board of directors for Mental Health Resources Plus, Inc., a local non-profit corporation which runs clubhouses in Haverhill and Lawrence for mentally ill adults (http://www.haverhillclubhouse.org/ and http://www.pointafterclub.org/). John is a musician and composer and plays piano in a jazz sextet.
Areas of Practice
- Business Law
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Workers' Compensation
- Social Security Disability
- Products Liability
- Medical Malpractice
- Criminal Law
- 60% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Massachusetts, 1986
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1987
- Northeastern University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1986
- Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts
- Bachelor of Arts - 1977
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Massachusetts Bar Association, 1986 - Present
- Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys
- American Association for Justice
- Haverhill Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Judge Lawrence Shubow, Law Clerk
- Bingham, Dana & Gould, Boston, Associate